Wednesday 20 June 2012

30 Day Challenge


Some of you may know I've been on a 30 day Challenge to be wheat free, dairy free, sugar free, 'bad' fat free, caffeine free and alcohol free. I'm pleased to say - I MADE IT! and am feeling lighter, brighter and clearer as a result!

Motivation
I've been regularly working out for over a year and was looking for a new and improved way of looking at my diet to compliment this. Since I committed to my new plan of aerobics 3 times a week I noticed that days after I had eaten a lot of heavy food the workouts would be harder than days where I had eaten lighter. I've been a non meat eater for over 12 years now and regularly have relied on both bread, cheese and pasta as a kind of quick solution for many meals. I also had been getting into the habit of a nice glass of red wine and a bar of chocolate at the end of the day. I became aware that these patterns were just like emotional patterns and they had become tiresome. There must be another way I thought - so I was looking out for it.

I came across this new approach to food after a four day seminar I participated in which really got my attention. I don't believe in diets and workout more to feel good than to look good, so I wasn't interested in a quick fix - but something more sustainable and most importantly - ENJOYABLE! This diet was all about increasing your energy - getting you to move more, drink lots more water and eat 70% live foods. I figured that as I had the exercises down, the water and food bit should be easier and you know what - is WAS!

Whats the process?
Its basically removing wheat, sugar, alcohol, bad fats, meat, caffeine and preservatives from your body and getting more good fats and live foods in your body. I took to it straight away as I really felt this all made so much sense. We all know that in order to be healthy that we have got to move more and eat well - so this approach seemed like common sense to me. It also seemed a lot more simple than a 100% raw food diet - I had heard much about raw food over the years, but going 100% raw didn't feel right for me - hot soups in winter makes too much sense! I have my own allotment plot where I grow my own fruits and vegetables and have done for the past 9 years. Its these foods that have the highest nutritional content and I have felt the benefits of my own veg vs shop bought veg - there's no comparison!

Progression
I started it out as a 10 challenge, after a shopping trip to my local grocers and health food shop. My main feeling was - how am I going to live without CHOCOLATE?! but as soon as I found the dried fruit section in the health food shop I felt at ease. I got myself a couple of huge bags of dried figs and thought - every time I want some chocolate I'm going to munch on these. So that was that sorted! The second question for me was - what am I going to do without bread?! So I stocked up on Rye Crispbreads and that was that sorted! I also bought a ton of green leafy veg, but that wasn't unusual for me and also some good quality salmon from the fishmonger - done.

So the 10 days went really well. I felt really excited about my new diet and got into the swing of it easily. When the 10 days were up I was a bit like - is that it? and made a pact with myself to go for 20 days - this was a bit harder. After about 15 days I started getting a bit obsessed - what was I going to eat, when was I going to eat it? I felt like food was becoming all I was talking about and driving my partner crazy! I thought, I've got to relax more about this! Also around this time, emotional stuff started to come out. I was dealing with the issues of control - how could I control my life without becoming a control freak?! This was very important to me. I trusted that the answers would come and kept going.

Then I reached 20 days! I was so happy - this was a milestone for me. I had noticed that I had become more thirsty rather than more hungry a lot of the time. My portion sizes started getting smaller and my drinks started getting larger! It was also around this time I could feel my legs a little slimmer! A bizarre thing to notice, but its true!!! ;0)

As I got onto 22, 23 days I could really feel a difference, I had gone down one notch on my belt and I just felt more energised generally. I was on the home straight....30 days was approaching! I turned my control issues into excitement and getting it done rather than having to talk about it as much.

The hardest thing was keeping it up when I had to work long days. Most of the time I would make a brown rice, bean and vegetable medley, but when I hadn't come prepared thankfully the local supermarket stocked either mackerel, sushi or hummous and rye crispbread so I could eat that. One of the most frustrating things I found was misleading products - even such a simple thing like a Chinese 5 spice mix had sugar in it! And my favourite meat free sausages had sugar in them! I was amazed that when I went into the supermarket - everything there is either wheat, sugar or dairy based!

However saying all this, the great thing about living today is that there is so much food available from different sources. Its just about getting your priorities right and shopping from multiple places rather than one. I have absolutely no problem with that and love giving my money to smaller companies who are growing. This makes more sense to me.

So I reached Day 30 today! I feel fantastic! I made a commitment and I stuck to it. But for those of you who know me, wouldn't be surprised by that at all :0) I've always been this way but now I have a plan with my food too and that feels LIBERATING! More weight is coming off, I have more muscle and more energy than ever before. I can do 8 press ups! Doesn't sound a lot, but six months ago I couldn't do 1!

More importantly than this though, I have seen a progression in my approach to life. I am more centred, more calm and my solution based attitude has strengthen ten fold. I feel more appreciative towards every thing and every one and its given me even more inspiration to support many more people on their own personal journeys in life. And I'm going to keep going - this is now a lifestyle for me.




If you are wanting to make a change to what you eat my advise would be to do it a bit at a time. Think how am I going to replace this food? rather than eliminate it. Focus on nurturing yourself rather than depriving yourself. It really is an approach to life, not an approach to food. You'll find that the emotional stuff could be the hardest bit to deal with, but this is the most important thing. Be the change you wish to see in the world - you can make a difference - today - now.

Can't do it on your own? No problem! We all need help from time to time!
If you have a personal, social, family, health, career, work or relationship issue you'd love to shift, then I'm here for you! I offer one to one sessions in person or via skype.

Get in touch for more information via my website: http://www.createyourtruelife.com





 Here's what a recent client said about their experience:

"If you need direction, motivation and encouragement, Leona will inspire you to achieve!! She is dynamic and rejuvenating, and her sparkle certainly rubs off! My project that has been on the back burner for the last 10 years and has finally had life breathed back into it. I forever grateful to Leona for making my dreams a reality!"
Vanya Silverten. North London.
http://www.createyourtruelife.com



Much love
and Till next time,


Leona x
http://www.createyourtruelife.com



No comments:

Post a Comment